Chief Of Comparative Medical Research
Education and Training
DVM, University of Ankara, Turkey
MS, Washington State University
PhD, Cornell University
Diplomate, American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine
Dr. Coksaygan joined the University of Maryland’s Veterinary Resources Department in 2005 to help with development of infectious agent research and complete a residency in Laboratory Animal Medicine. He has achieved his board certification and continues to support the care of animals utilized in research at the UMB and affiliates.
Prior to coming to UMB, Dr Coksaygan concentrated on effect of antenatal glucocorticoid treatment on cardiovascular physiology, endocrine physiology and brain metabolism of sheep fetus. He specialized on live animal experimental modeling of human diseases and developmental neuroscience during his fellowship at NIH/NIA. His current research interest is developmental neuroscience and cardiovascular physiology.
He continues his interest in neuroscience research and development of new experimental research models
- Yu D, Swaroop M, Wang M, Baxa U, Yang R, Yan Y, Coksaygan T, DeTolla L, Marugan JJ, Austin CP, McKew JC, Gong DW, Zheng W. Niemann-Pick Disease Type C: Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-Derived Neuronal Cells for Modeling Neural Disease and Evaluating Drug Efficacy. J Biomol Screen. 2014 Jun 6;19(8):1164-1173.
- Muratoglu SC, Belgrave S, Hampton B, Migliorini M, Coksaygan T, Chen L, Mikhailenko I, Strickland DK. LRP1 protects the vasculature by regulating levels of connective tissue growth factor and HtrA1. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2013 Sep;33(9):2137-46.
- Tosun C, Koltz MT, Kurland DB, Ijaz H, Gurakar M, Schwartzbauer G, Coksaygan T, Ivanova S, Gerzanich V, Simard JM. The protective effect of glibenclamide in a model of hemorrhagic encephalopathy of prematurity. Brain Sci. 2013 Mar 7;3(1):215-38.
- Koltz MT, Tosun C, Kurland DB, Coksaygan T, Castellani RJ, Ivanova S, Gerzanich V, Simard JM. Tandem insults of prenatal ischemia plus postnatal raised intrathoracic pressure in a novel rat model of encephalopathy of prematurity. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2011 Dec;8(6):628-39.
- Loulier K, Lathia JD, Marthiens V, Relucio J, Mughal MR, Tang SC, Coksaygan T, Hall PE, Chigurupati S, Patton B, Colognato H, Rao MS, Mattson MP, Haydar TF, Ffrench-Constant C. beta1 integrin maintains integrity of the embryonic neocortical stem cell niche. PLoS Biol. 2009 Aug;7(8):e1000176.
- Antonow-Schlorke I, Helgert A, Gey C, Coksaygan T, Schubert H, Nathanielsz PW, Witte OW, Schwab M. Adverse effects of antenatal glucocorticoids on cerebral myelination in sheep. Obstet Gynecol. 2009 Jan;113(1):142-51.
- Panda A, Tatarov I, Melton-Celsa AR, Kolappaswamy K, Kriel EH, Petkov D, Coksaygan T, Livio S, McLeod CG, Nataro JP, O'Brien AD, DeTolla LJ. Escherichia coli O157:H7 infection in Dutch belted and New Zealand white rabbits. Comp Med. 2010 Feb;60(1):31-7.
- Shipley ST, Coksaygan T, Johnson DK, McLeod CG Jr, DeTolla LJ. Diagnosis and prevention of dissemination of tuberculosis in a recently imported rhesus macaque (Macaca mulatta). J Med Primatol. 2008 Feb;37 Suppl 1:20-4.
- McCallum J, Smith N, MacLachlan JN, Coksaygan T, Schwab M, Nathanielsz P, Richardson BS. Effects of antenatal glucocorticoids on cerebral protein synthesis in the preterm ovine fetus. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Jan;198(1):103.e1-6.
- McCallum J, Smith N, Schwab M, Coksaygan T, Reinhardt B, Nathanielsz P, Richardson BS. Effects of antenatal glucocorticoids on cerebral substrate metabolism in the preterm ovine fetus. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008
- Magnus T, Coksaygan T, Korn T, Xue H, Arumugam TV, Mughal MR, Eckley DM, Tang SC, Detolla L, Rao MS, Cassiani-Ingoni R, Mattson MP. Evidence that nucleocytoplasmic Olig2 translocation mediates brain-injury-induced differentiation of glial precursors to astrocytes. J Neurosci Res. 2007 Aug 1;85(10):2126-37.
- Hattiangady B, Shuai B, Cai J, Coksaygan T, Rao MS, Shetty AK. Increased dentate neurogenesis after grafting of glial restricted progenitors or neural stem cells in the aging hippocampus. Stem Cells. 2007 Aug;25(8):2104-17.
- Cheng A, Coksaygan T, Tang H, Khatri R, Balice-Gordon RJ, Rao MS, Mattson MP. Truncated tyrosine kinase B brain-derived neurotrophic factor receptor directs cortical neural stem cells to a glial cell fate by a novel signaling mechanism. J Neurochem. 2007 Mar;100(6):1515-30. Epub 2006 Dec 22.
- Schwab M, Coksaygan T, Samtani MN, Jusko WJ, Nathanielsz PW. Kinetics of betamethasone and fetal cardiovascular adverse effects in pregnant sheep after different doses. Obstet Gynecol. 2006 Sep;108(3 Pt 1):617-25
- Cassiani-Ingoni R, Coksaygan T, Xue H, Reichert-Scrivner SA, Wiendl H, Rao MS, Magnus T. Cytoplasmic translocation of Olig2 in adult glial progenitors marks the generation of reactive astrocytes following autoimmune inflammation. Exp Neurol. 2006 Oct;201(2):349-58.
- Schwab M, Coksaygan T, Nathanielsz PW. Betamethasone effects on ovine uterine and umbilical placental perfusion at the dose used to enhance fetal lung maturation. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006 Feb;194(2):572-9.
- Wu WX, Coksaygan T, Chakrabarty K, Collins V, Rose JC, Nathanielsz PW. Sufficient progesterone-priming prior to estradiol stimulation is required for optimal induction of the cervical prostaglandin system in pregnant sheep at 0.7 gestations. Biol Reprod. 2005 Aug;73(2):343-50..
- Kutzler MA, Coksaygan T, Ferguson AD, Nathanielsz PW. Effects of maternally administered dexamethasone and acute hypoxemia at 0.7 gestation on blood pressure and placental perfusion in sheep. Hypertens Pregnancy. 2004;23(1):75-90.
- Schwab M, Coksaygan T, Rakers F, Nathanielsz PW. Glucocorticoid exposure of sheep at 0.7 to 0.75 gestation augments late-gestation fetal stress responses. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Mar;206(3):253.e16-22.
- Coksaygan T, Magnus T, Cai J, Mughal M, Lepore A, Xue H, Fischer I, Rao MS. Neurogenesis in Talpha-1 tubulin transgenic mice during development and after injury. Exp Neurol. 2006 Feb;197(2):475-85.
- Kutzler MA, Coksaygan T, Ferguson AD, Vincent SE, Nathanielsz PW. Maternally administered dexamethasone at 0.7 of gestation suppresses maternal and fetal pituitary and adrenal responses to hypoxemia in sheep. Pediatr Res. 2004 May;55(5):755-63.
- Kutzler MA, Ruane EK, Coksaygan T, Vincent SE, Nathanielsz PW. Effects of three courses of maternally administered dexamethasone at 0.7, 0.75, and 0.8 of gestation on prenatal and postnatal growth in sheep. Pediatrics. 2004 Feb;113(2):313-9.
- Wu WX, Ma XH, Coksaygan T, Chakrabarty K, Collins V, Rose J, Nathanielsz PW. Prostaglandin mediates premature delivery in pregnant sheep induced by estradiol at 121 days of gestational age. Endocrinology. 2004 Mar;145(3):1444-52.
- Rivas AL, Tadevosyan R, Quimby FW, Coksaygan T, Lein DH. Identification of subpopulations of bovine mammary-gland phagocytes and evaluation of sensitivity and specificity of morphologic and functional indicators of bovine mastitis. Can J Vet Res. 2002 Jul;66(3):165-72.