Associate Fellowship Program Director, Critical Care Medicine
Education and Training
2004-2008: B.A., Psychology, Williams College
2008-2012: M.D., Albany Medical College
Post Graduate Training
2012-2013: Internship, University of Rochester, Strong Memorial Hospital
2013-2016: Residency, Anesthesiology, University of Maryland Medical Center
2015-2016: Chief Resident, Anesthesiology, University of Maryland Medical Center
2016-2017: Fellowship, Critical Care Anesthesiology, George Washington University Hospital
2017-Present: Assistant Professor, Anesthesiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
Dr. Chow received his doctor of medicine degree from Albany Medical College in Albany, New York. He completed his Anesthesiology residency at the University of Maryland Medical Center in 2016, and then subsequently pursued a fellowship in Critical Care Medicine at George Washington University from 2016-2017. He is a diplomate of the American Board of Anesthesiology and has additional subspeciality certification in Critical Care Medicine.
In 2017, Dr. Chow joined the faculty at the University of Maryland School of Medicine as an Assistant Professor. He currently works as an anesthesiologist and critical care physician in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit, and also specializes in liver transplant anesthesiology.
His research interests include the use of novel treatment methods for vasoplegic and septic shock, as well as trans-thoracic ultrasound, thromboelastography, and damage control resuscitation.
1. Chow JH, Galvagno SM, Tanaka KA, Mazzeffi MA, Chancer Z, Henderson R, McCurdy MT. When All Else Fails: Novel use of Angiotensin for Vasodilatory Shock. Anesthesia and Analgesia Practice. 2018. (in-press)
2. Tanaka KA, Mazzeffi MA, Chow JH. Transfusion of Aged Red Blood Cells in Liver Transplantation - Et tu, Brute?. Anesthesia and Analgesia. 2018.
3. Chow JH, Mazzeffi MA, Tanaka KA. Teaching an Old Dog New TRICS: Re-evaluating Transfusion Triggers in High-Risk Cardiac Surgery. Journal of Thoracic Disease. 2018.
4. Chow JH, Lee K, Abuelkasem E, Udekwu OR, Tanaka KA. Coagulation Management During Liver Transplantation: Use of Fibrinogen Concentrate, Recombinant Activated Factor VII, Prothrombin Complex Concentrate, and Antifibrinolytics. Seminars in Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia. 2017 Nov.
5. Chow JH and Galvagno S, “Monitoring”, Pocket ICU 2nd edition, Frendl G & Urman R (eds.), Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins, 2016.
Septic shock, regional and trans-thoracic ultrasound, massive transfusion, damage control resuscitation, thromboelastography, pre-hospital aeromedical transport.
Liver transplant Anesthesiology
Critical Care Medicine