UM Scholars 2018 Program
The UM Scholars 2018 Program is closed for applications.
University of Maryland School of Medicine (UM SOM) at the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) campus.
- Research Mentor
University of Maryland School of Medicine (UM SOM) faculty researchers. Once selected, Scholars will identify a research mentor from a list of available UM Scholars faculty mentors and work with the mentor to develop a research project.
- Research Topic
Hypothesis-driven project in basic, translational, and clinical research in biomedical or health topics, determined according to Scholars' research interests and professional goals.
- Time and Duration
Summer Research - 10 weeks of full time commitment (at least 40 hours per week) in the summer after the end of spring semester and before the start of fall semester.
Standard 10-week research period begins on May 29 and ends on August 3, 2018. If permitted by research mentor, student may take days off and make up missed days prior to the fall semester, provided that attendance requirements for summer programming are satisfied.
Summer Programming - May 29 to July 27, 2018. See "Program Activities" for specific dates of required major events and general seminar schedule.
- Program Activities
Scholars are required to participate in the full range of summer research training activities sponsored by the Office of Student Research (OSR) of UM School of Medicine, including research-related training, the three major events:
- Orientation (May 29 & 30)
- Mid-Summer Research Retreat (June 28)
- Student Research Forum (July 27)
and the Summer Seminar Series on biomedical research (weekly 1-hour seminars on both Tuesday and Thursday mornings). Scholars will have many opportunities to interact with other undergraduate, medical, graduate, and other health professional students, and faculty in various summer research programs and settings at UMB. Students are also required to submit a final report on their research after the end of the program.
- Research Presentation Opportunities
Scholars will present their research at the UM SOM's Student Research Forum at the conclusion of the program, and may also present their work at the UMCP Bioscience Research Technology Review Day in the fall or at the UMCP Undergraduate Research Day in the following spring. Scholars may also be invited to present at additional UMB research events.
For Faculty: If you are interested in becoming a research mentor for the UM Scholars Program, please follow the link to complete the Research Mentor Form.
- Institution and Year of Study
University of Maryland, College Park (UMCP) undergraduate students currently in their second or third year of studies (Sophomore or Junior).
- Study Field
Majoring in any science, engineering, or mathematics field.
Minimum GPA of 3.2 (cumulative) with strong science preference. GPA of 3.5 or greater preferred.
Application Deadline: February 5, 2018, 11:59pm EST, Deadline has passed
Anticipated Notification of Decision: Late March to mid-April 2018
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all materials are submitted before the deadline. Only complete applications will be considered.
A complete application packet must include the following.
- Application Form (online form)
Submit a completed Application Form through the online form. Follow the two step process: register your entry and then continue to the provided link to complete the entry (the unique link will allow the completion of the form in more than one sitting). The form will ask you to provide the following.
- Personal information, academic information, and short essays
Please upload a photo of yourself, maximum files size 50 KB (JPEG file preferred) similar to passport photos.
- Biosketch Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume - Upload a CV or a resume. CV is preferred. Please follow the documents provided.
- Current transcript - Upload an unofficial transcript. An official transcript may be requested if the applicant is accepted into the program.
- Names and titles of your recommenders (2 required recommendations, up to 2 optional additional recommendations)
- Recommendation Form (online form) from two recommenders
Request recommendations from two recommenders. Provide them with the link to the online Recommendation Form and make sure that the required recommendations are submitted by the deadline. Your recommenders will be asked to follow the two step process: register the entry and then continue to the provided unique link to complete the entry (the unique link will allow the completion of the form in more than one sitting).
You will receive an automatic notification email after a recommender has submitted a recommendation for you. Please make sure your recommenders have your correct email address.
- Two required recommendations, up to two additional optional recommendations.
- Recommenders should be faculty members or advisors, or past research mentors or supervisors. Choose recommenders who know you well and could speak to your character, strengths, and abilities. Recommenders who have interacted with you within the past two years are preferred.
- The two required recommendations should not come from current graduate students or postdoctoral fellows. You are welcome to request additional recommendations from a graduate student or postdoctoral fellow as optional recommendations.
For questions regarding the program or the application process, please use the ASK UM Scholars Form.