Find Out More
Match Day 2016
Match Day 2016 will take place on Friday, March 18, 2016. The Match Day program is a ticketed event that will be held at the Hippodrome Theatre located at 12 N. Eutaw St. Baltimore, MD 21201. Please contact the Office of Student Affairs for more information.
View Match Day facts below.
Match Day 2014 Video
- In the annual ceremony known as "Match Day," graduating medical students around the country and at the University of Maryland School of Medicine discover where they will begin their careers as doctors.
- During the emotionally charged, suspense-filled ceremony, students are handed an envelope revealing which residency program has accepted them.
- The ritual takes place at the same time on the same day for all graduating U.S. medical students.
- At the same moment, the students learn the location for the next phase of their training.
- The annual "Match" is conducted by the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) - a computerized system that matches the preferences of applicants with the preferences of residency programs at U.S. teaching hospitals.
- The NRMP is a private, not-for-profit corporation established in 1952 to provide uniform date of appointment to positions in graduate medical education throughout the United States.
- Each year approximately 16,000 U.S. medical school seniors compete for residency positions in the United States.
- Up until 2014, the University of Maryland School of Medicine, "Match" was held in historic Davidge Hall - the oldest medical school building in continuous use in the United States. Match Day is now held in the Hippodrome Theatre, located in Baltimore Maryland.
- Students are called in random order, heightening the suspense. After receiving a match letter, each student drops a donation into a bag, and the money is given to the last person to receive his/her letter, who often uses it to fund a post-Match bash.
- More than 50 percent of Maryland's practicing physicians and other health care professionals are School of Medicine graduates.