Alpha Omega Alpha
Alpha Omega Alpha, founded in 1902, is the national medical honor society. Its mission statement is: Alpha Omega Alpha — dedicated to the belief that in the profession of medicine we will improve care for all by:
- Recognizing high educational achievement
- Honoring gifted teaching
- Encouraging the development of leaders in academia and the community
- Supporting the ideals of humanism
- Promoting service to others
Election to Alpha Omega Alpha is an honor signifying a lasting commitment to scholarship, leadership, professionalism, and service. A lifelong honor, membership in the society confers recognition for a physician's dedication to the profession and art of healing. The honor of AOA membership is accompanied by the responsibility to sustain the vision and goals of the society:
- Professionalism - To hold the conviction that professionalism in medicine is a worthy goal.
- Scholarship - To promote scholarship among medical professionals.
- Leadership - To set an example worth emulating.
- Service - To serve the medical profession and the community.
Nomination into the society is made from the top quartile of students academically. Each chapter may nominate to A?A membership up to one-sixth of the projected number of students that will graduate. Those students are selected not only for their high academic standing, but also for leadership among their peers, professionalism and a firm sense of ethics, promise of future success in medicine, and a commitment to service in the school and community.
The University of Maryland Chapter holds elections for “junior AOA” in February of the third year and “senior AOA” in August of the fourth year. Approximately half of the students in a given class will be nominated in their third year. Nomination is made by current AOA students with input from AOA faculty, fellows and residents. Students under consideration will be notified by the Office of Student Affairs and asked to submit a curriculum vitae and complete a brief form outlining achievements consistent with the goals of the society. For further information visit Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.