Skip to main content

Administrative Services

Academic Records and Registration To request copies of a student academic record or for registration questions, please contact Sonia Beasley or OSA.
Advising All OSA Deans are available for walk-ins or by appointment. To schedule an appointment, please call 410-706-7476.
OSA Deans:
Donna L. Parker, MD
Joseph Martinez, MD
Elizabeth Lamos, MD
John Allen, MD
Approval of Forms If a form needs approval or a signature, please bring to OSA or e-mail to OSA.
BLS & ACLS Certifications Please contact Brandi Finch at UMMC.
Conference Funding

Please fill out our student conference reimbursement request form. For additional information, please contact OSA.

Please read and comply with the following instructions for reimbursement requests:

  • This form must be submitted 2 weeks prior to student travel. If a student submits this form after traveling to the conference, expenses will NOT be covered.
  • After submitting this form, OSA will approve or deny the request. Do not book travel until OSA approves the request. Approvals are granted within a week of submission.
  • If you are presenting research at the conference, please ask the Office of Student Research for funding. If they are unable to help, OSA can assist you.
  • We will only allow a maximum of three students to travel to a conference at a time. OSA will generally cover 50% of the expenses, up to $250 for a conference. If more is needed, please submit additional details in the comment box.
  • If additional funding for travel is coming from other sources, please include that information in the comment box.
  • Please submit all original receipts to OSA after the conference. Photocopied will not be accepted.
  •  If a student group is paying for conference-related travel expenses and the student is also requesting a conference reimbursement through OSA, that payment amount will be deducted from the total. Failure to disclose that a student group is paying for the conference reimbursement at the time of reimbursement submittal will be viewed as an ethics violation and fraudulent behavior.
Criminal Background Checks Sandra Smith at the VA handles criminal background checks. She can be contacted at 410-642-2411 ext 6687.

Should a visiting institution require you receive a background check follow the steps below. This information was obtained from Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services.

Individual State Background Check (For example; Visas, Gold Seal letters, and Individual Reviews):
If you live in Maryland:
  • You may go to any authorized location that provides fingerprinting services.
  • You may go to your local law enforcement agency to be fingerprinted on the state fingerprint card known as Form 015.
  • Once you've been fingerprinted, you may overnight it to CJIS-Central Repository located at 6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 102, Baltimore Maryland 21215, or mail it to CJIS-CR P.O. Box 32708, Pikesville, Maryland, 21282-2708. (see Associated Fees).
  • If you are requesting a copy of your FBI criminal history record you must send your request directly to the FBI.
If you live outside of Maryland:
  • You may write CJIS-Central Repository P.O. Box 32708, Pikesville, Maryland 21282-2708, or call the Central Repository in Baltimore City at 410-764-4501 or toll-free number 1-888-795-0011 to request a fingerprint card.
  • You may mail the fingerprint card and associated fee to CJIS-Central Repository P.O. Box 32708 Pikesville Maryland 21282-2708, or overnight the fingerprint card to 6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 102, Baltimore Maryland 21215.
  • Please include a check or money order made out to "CJIS Central Repository". See the schedule of Associated Fees.
  • You may expect a response in 10 - 15 business days.
ERAS and Residency Planning For a question about ERAS or Residency Planning, please visit our Residency Application Manual. For any additional questions, please contact OSA.
Events For information about the AOA Banquet, Commencement, Graduation, Student Clinician Ceremony, Match Day, please visit our events page. For questions about White Coat Ceremony, please contact Ashley Hines. For additional questions, please contact OSA.
FERPA Authorization In order to complete the FERPA authorization form, students must sign into Medscope and click the link on the top right hand corner to sign off on FERPA. 
Good Guy Letters Please e-mail OSA to request a good guy letter for an elective.
Hospital ID Badge If your hospital ID has lost access, please print and fill out the UMMC Badge Form and bring it to OSA for a signature.
International Electives For any questions about international electives, please contact OSA.
Jury Duty If you are summoned for jury duty, please scan your summons and e-mail it to OSA. We will draft a request for you to be excused. This does not guarantee that you will be excused from jury duty.
Lactation Room Access in Hospital You can request access on this site, or you can e-mail You must provide their full name and the 6-7 digit number located in the lower corner of the UMMC ID. 
Leave of Absence Please see the Leave of Absence Checklist.
Letters of Good Standing Please e-mail OSA to request a letter of good standing.
Letters of Recommendation (LOR's) Students need to create and finalize a letter slot for an LOR cover sheet within ERAS. Students must make sure that all LOR letter slot information is correct before finalizing. All LOR's are uploaded into ERAS from the letter writer. For more information, please check our Residency Application Manual.
Mask Fit Testing

UMMC EHS will conduct respirator medical clearance and fit testing will TBD.

The appointments will be TBD. Students will be expected to call and schedule the appointment at 410-328-6151.

Male students should be clean shaven in order to be fit tested, if not clean shaven, they will be instructed on the use of the powered air purifying respirator (PAPR). Female students with long hair should have a hair band/rubber band to hold hair (out of the way) to facilitate fit testing.

Students must complete the OSHA Respiratory Questionnaire and bring it to the appointment. Any student who arrives without the completed questionnaire may be rescheduled, as this may adversely impact the appointment schedule. Any student who arrives late for an appointment may be rescheduled. Additionally, students need to be able to provide information about flu vaccination. UMMC has a mandatory flu vaccination policy to which students are expected to adhere. We will be asking questions about flu vaccination when the student calls for the fit test appointment. If a student has not been vaccinated, UMMC can provide flu vaccination. This information has to be reported to CMS.

Forms and Instructions
MD Verifications

Graduates of the School of Medicine often need certification of their M.D. degree in order to apply for a license, to acquire hospital privileges, or for some other purpose.

The Office of Student Affairs will verify medical education for state boards ONLY.

For all other inquiries, please use the National Student Clearinghouse - Degree Verify. This is the largest online degree verification service in the U.S. When requesting degree certifications through the National Student Clearinghouse, you must use University of Maryland, Baltimore.

  • If an employer is seeking to verify your degree they can now receive service 24/7 through this web-based system. The employer is charged a minimal fee for this service.
  • State or federation verification forms are not processed through Degree Verify. Those forms may be sent to the:
    Office of Student Affairs (OSA)
    685 W. Baltimore Street, Rm. 150
    Baltimore, MD 21201

  • The forms are returned directly to the requesting agency. To avoid delay in the processing of these forms and or approval, please allow us to complete the forms in their entirety. Submit any pertinent information on a separate sheet of paper. There is no charge for this service.
  • Some agencies will want a copy of your Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE, formerly Dean’s Letter). These will be identical to the one that was initially sent to your residency programs as a senior student with two modifications: The date of graduation is added, and courses for which grades were not available at the time of initial submission are added. These requests can be submitted to OSA by fax to 410-706-8311 or email to OSA e-mail.
  • Official transcripts can be requested through the university registrar website. There is no charge for this service. The Office of the Registrar also has an online form to request a transcript.
  • If you are a new graduate, we recommend that you make a few copies of your diploma before you have it framed or laminated, as agencies often want us to verify a copy of the diploma. Should you ever need a new diploma, please contact the university registrar at 410-706-7480 or There will be a cost for issuing a duplicate diploma.
  • If alumni require degree verification for their own personal business, they should contact the university registrar by accessing their website or by calling 410-706-7480. There is a 5-7 business day turnaround time associated with this request. There is no charge for this service.

We appreciate your cooperation with this process. Please do not hesitate to call the Office of Student Affairs if you have questions. We can be reached at 410-706-7476.

Military Reimbursement Please bring in all forms to OSA for reimbursement.
Medscope For any technical questions pertaining to Medscope, please contact Medscope.
MSPE (Dean's Letter) Please e-mail OSA with the address or e-mail where the MSPE will need to be sent. MSPE's cannot be sent directly to a student or graduate.
Professional Liability Insurance Current insurance carrier: Maryland Medicine Comprehensive Insurance Program
Address: 250 W. Pratt Street, Suite 1200, Baltimore, MD 21201
Policy number: self-insured trust
Period of coverage: July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019
Limits of coverage: $1,000,000 per claim/$3,000,000 annual aggregate
Type of coverage: claims made with tail
Shadowing If you are interested in shadowing or volunteering at University of Maryland Medical Center, please contact volunteer services
Student ID Badge If a student ID badge was replaced and card access needs to be restored, please fill out the Card Access Authorization Form. For any additional questions, please contact Police and Safety at 410-706-6882. After card access is restored, you must go to OSA to ensure your card will sign into small group sessions.
Rooms To request a room reservation, please e-mail
Transcripts The Office of the Registrar processes transcripts. Please visit the Office of the Registrar website for more details.
USMLE Application Please bring in USMLE form to the OSA office for processing. Please make sure your photo is attached to the form before bringing it into OSA.
VA Educational Benefits For the VA Declaration of Intent, please visit: VA Declaration of Intent Please contact Sonia Beasley for more information about VA Educational Benefits.