The Office of Medical Education has begun a number of initiatives focused on the medical student as learner, with the goal of improving student performance. These include:
- Utilizing formal personality assessment tools, such as the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator, to identify learning styles and variations in performance.
- Identifying learners as passive or active and the effect on success in medical school.
- Identify possible predictors of success on the USMLE Step I.
- Analyzing student performance on standardized patient encounters over time.
- Formulating mission based management and the education mission, a methodology.