Academic Programs & Policies
The DMRT offers a baccalaureate degree in Medical and Research Technology. Students may specialize in one of two career tracks:
Both tracks are upper-level allied health curricula offered in two years of full-time or three years of part-time study. Spring admit students will require 2 1/2 years for completion of the program. In addition to lecture and laboratory instruction, students in both tracks complete externship training.
In January and continuing through the spring semester of their senior year, the Medical Laboratory Science students train among the Department’s 16 clinical affiliate sites, while the Biotechnology students train at biotechnology companies in the Greater Baltimore-Washington area. Graduates of the Medical Laboratory Science Program are eligible to take national certification examinations in Medical Laboratory Science.
- Degree Awarded: BS – Bachelor of Science
- Program Length
- Fall Admission (Full-Time): 4 semesters
- Fall Admission (Part-Time Option): 6 semesters
- Spring Admission: 5 semesters
- Class Size: 18 to 30 students
- Distance Education Option: No
- DAY CLASSES ONLY – 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Monday – Friday)
- No summer classes
- Accreditation Status: NAACLS in good standing through April 2026
- All 60 prerequisite credits must be completed before program entry
- 2014 average incoming GPA 3.4
DMRT also offers an accelerated one-year categorical certificate program for individuals who already possess a baccalaureate degree in a basic science area such as chemistry or biology. After completion of coursework and training, students are eligible to take national certification examinations in their specialty area.
The graduate program of DMRT offers two career tracks: Biotechnology Research or Clinical Laboratory Management. The program provides flexibility in scheduling coursework and in arranging programs of study to fit individual interests and backgrounds.
Academic Programs and Policies
- Undergraduate Academic Policies
- Undergraduate Advising
- Student Grievance & Appeals
- Dropping a Course, Withdrawal & Refund Policies
- Medical Laboratory Science/Medical Technology Track
- Biotechnology Research Track - Overview
- Categorical Certificate Training Program - Overview
- Master of Science Program
- Advisory Committee
- List of Clinical Affiliates
- Biotech Externships