How We Are Transforming Medicine
Join the Transformation
Kevin J. Cullen, MD
Professor and Director, University of Maryland Marlene & Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center
Imagine a world in which…
- Your hypertension medication works quickly and without adverse side effects because it’s tailored specifically for you.
- Your wife’s tumor is treated without surgery, chemotherapy or radiation because it can be killed by her own immune system.
- Your son will not have to wait for an available liver for his transplant operation – one will simply be grown using his own cells.
Soon you may not need your imagination to envision such scenarios. The University of Maryland School of Medicine is on the verge of numerous exciting breakthroughs that could transform this futuristic vision of medicine into a reality today.
As we move closer to this new age of medicine, new challenges continue to emerge. For example:
- As our society ages, researchers must devise innovative, efficient ways to treat ailments affecting larger numbers of aging ‘baby-boomers’ and seniors, such as using robotics to assist with bypass heart surgery and stroke rehabilitation.
- As barriers to international travel continue to fall, virologists face the increasing possibility of encountering new, hard-to-treat global diseases and the spread of pandemics.
- Conflicts between countries and the threat of terrorism drive scientists to find new protection against bioterror agents and new surgical techniques that could benefit soldiers and others affected by traumatic injury.
- A tumultuous downturn in the economy can create financial uncertainty for a student who dreams of researching a cure for breast cancer.
Now, imagine a world where your support helps us to overcome today’s realities, transforming them from challenges into opportunities – as surely as a researcher’s discovery can convert a once-fatal diagnosis into a treatable disorder.
With your support, imagine what we can do. Imagine how you can make a difference in saving a life – perhaps even that of someone you know. Give Now
Transforming Medicine Beyond Imagination
With our storied history behind us, and our reputation well-established, the School of Medicine is looking forward, poised to achieve even greater success transforming medicine today and tomorrow.
To maintain our leadership position, and lay the groundwork for continued expansion, we have launched Transforming Medicine Beyond Imagination: The Campaign for the University of Maryland School of Medicine. This important capital campaign, which seeks to raise $500 million in private financial support from alumni, friends, patients, corporations, and foundations, will allow the School of Medicine to fulfill its mission in three distinct ways:
New funding will help us find solutions to today’s most important biomedical challenges.
Curt I. Civin, MD
Professor and Associate Dean for Research
Director, University of Maryland Center for Stem Cell Biology & Regenerative Medicine
By endowing new professorships and scholarships, we can bring together the world’s leading experts and the brightest students and support their collaboration and innovations.
Financial support will ensure that we continue to transform the health of generations by creating new opportunities for advancing clinical care.
Stephen T. Bartlett, MD
The Peter Angelos Distinguished Professor and
Chair, Department of Surgery
Click here to Make a Difference, Make a Gift. With your support, we can impact the lives of our generation and transform the health of generations to come.