The Department of Anesthesiology at University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute consists of board certified or board eligible physician anesthesiologists who all have special interests in the field of Regional Anesthesia. To that end, we employ the latest regional techniques to ensure optimal intra-operative and post-operative pain control.
For example, we offer single-shot and continuous nerve blocks for total shoulder replacement, total elbow replacement, hand surgery, total hip replacement, total knee replacement and ACL reconstruction. We offer a 24-hour-per-day acute pain service for our inpatients to ensure continuity of care throughout their hospital stay.
Furthermore, we offer pre-operative anesthesia consultations to our scheduled patients to help educate them on the various alternatives available for intra-operative and post-operative pain control. Should any of our patients have any questions, we encourage them to call and schedule a consultation.
Specific Techniques Employed
Upper Extremity Surgery
- Single Shot & Continuous Interscalene Anesthesia/Analgesia
- Single Shot & Continuous Infraclavicular
- Single Shot & Continuous Axillary Anesthesia/Analgesia
Lower Extremity Surgery
- Single Shot & Continuous Epidural Analgesia
- Single Shot & Continuous Lumbar Plexus Anesthesia/Analgesia
- Single Shot & Continuous Femoral Nerve Analgesia/Blocks
- Single Shot & Continuous Popliteal (Sciatic Nerve) Anesthesia/Analgesia
- Director: Edwin Villamater, M.D., Assistant Professor
- Mark Dimino, M.D., Assistant Professor
- Jeff Haugh, M.D., Assistant Professor
- John Jun, M.D., Assistant Professor
- Aaron W. Lange, M.D., Assistant Professor
- Kumudhini Hendrix, M.D., Assistant Professor
Pain Management Center Faculty
- Director: Thelma Wright, M.D., Assistant Professor, Fellowship Director
- Kanchana Gattu, M.B.B.S., Assistant Professor
- Seung Lee, M.D., Assistant Professor
Certified Nurse Anesthetists
- Lindsay Bearman, CRNA
- Kristy Browning, CRNA
- Diane Dy, CRNA
- Charles Harkins, CRNA
- Ivana Mitic, CRNA
- Marc Okolowicz, CRNA
- Rose Themistocles, CRNA
Acute Pain Management Service
Postoperative analgesic care following elective total joint replacement and other orthopaedic procedures is provided by the acute pain management service at University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute. Nursing protocols for this service are written and followed under the medical direction of the University of Maryland Pain Management Center and in collaboration with the Anesthesiology Division at University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute. Consultation is also provided to rehabilitation inpatients requiring analgesic modification. Complex pain management problems are referred to the Pain Management Center for inpatient evaluation. Pain Resource Nurses are available on off-shifts and week-ends to provide continuity of analgesic protocols.