Mission, Vision and Values
"Healing, Teaching, Caring, Discovering and Leading"
The goals of our department are:
- Deliver state-of-the-art anesthesia services in perioperative care, pain management and critical care;
- Educate students, residents and fellows;
- Be recognized for its contributions to the specialty of anesthesiology through education, research and scholarly activities;
- Contribute to the success of the Medical School and Medical System.
To be one of the country's top 10 academic anesthesiology programs.
To accomplish our mission and achieve our vision, we need to focus on five pillars of our specialty:
- Healing: We will deliver the highest quality of perioperative clinical care in the ORs, ICUs and clinics.
- Teaching: A core mission of the department is instruction and training of students, residents, fellows and other health care providers which is essential for the future of our specialty. We will devote ourselves to excellence in education.
- Discovering: The development of new knowledge regarding perioperative care improves the way we care for patients, provides the basis for further advances in the specialty and advances the intellectual underpinnings of anesthesiology. We will be known for our creative approach to solving problems in all aspects of our mission.
- Caring: We will foster an environment that values professionalism, civility, compassion, collegiality, teamwork and collaboration. All members of the department contribute to its success and are regarded highly for their contributions. We will emphasize quality, patient safety and continuous performance improvement. We are part of a larger community and will strive to improve that community through our professional efforts and good works. We are committed to diversity and equal opportunity.
- Leading: We will promote and encourage leadership activities and skills at all levels of the department, within the medical system and university, locally and nationally. Career development and mentoring is a responsibility of the department. We intend to train the future leaders of anesthesiology.